Video Game Development – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (2 years)
Do you want to turn your passion for video games into a rewarding career? Apply for one of the only video games degree courses of its kind in Europe, designed to produce ‘work ready’ graduates for the industry. With access to PlayStation 4 developer kits and real games briefs, this two-year fast track degree can prepare you to work for companies such as Sega and Sony.
Interactive entertainment and video games development are key sectors for contemporary culture, economic growth and employment, whether that be locally, nationally or globally.
Our BSc (Hons) Video Game Development course responds to this growing and innovative sector by developing skilled, team-orientated, reflexive graduate professionals ready to succeed in the sector. On the course you will learn the most important programming languages for game development, as well as industry-standard game development tools such as Unity and Unreal.
This accelerated two-year course gives you a guaranteed video game development placement in our in-house studio, taking place over the summer term of the course. The work-place simulation approach of our department (NTI Birmingham) has been championed by the influential 2009 Livingstone, Hope Next Gen Report which cited us as a national best practice example for developing new talent.
What’s covered in the course?
Developing you as a professional developer
The course covers core programming languages and video game development tools, as well as contemporary agile software development techniques to make you a competent and adaptable programmer, capable of finding employment in the sector or preparing you for further academic study.
Your first position in the video game industry
Building upon your core language and software development skills, in the first year you will be tasked with a specific role within our in-house game development studio over the summer term. This work experience gives you the opportunity to apply the knowledge and professional practices you’ve learnt on the course in a safe and supportive environment. Typically for these projects you’ll be using industry standard game development tools such as Unity and Unreal.
These summer projects have in the past been mentored and supported by external partners including Red Bee Media, FreeStyleGames and Codemasters. The work students produce during these summer placements can act as excellent portfolio pieces, which demonstrate their ability as both a professional artist and effective team member.
Putting you in control of your final project
You have the choice of either proposing your own individual project or collaborating with other students to create another video game project for your portfolio.
Best of class facilities and staff
Teaching takes place in a modern production studio based in Birmingham city centre, where you’ll be provided with studio space to complete projects and a laptop with all the software you’ll need for the duration of the course.
You will be taught by staff with significant experience in the video game development industry, having worked with game developers including Psygnosis, Rage Software, Codemasters, FreeStyleGames and EA Games.
By the time you graduate, a whole year before most students, you’ll have two years of tangible games development studio experience under your belt, ready to launch your dream career as a games developer.
Alternatively, you can choose to apply for one of our one-year Gamer Camp courses, to gain even more in-depth skills, and experience.
“I joined the course having some exposure to programming and a drive to learn more. The course has given me the opportunity to learn new programming languages and work collaboratively with other coders, artists, producers and marketers to develop industry standard projects. Honestly, I can not recommend this course enough if you have a passion for making games.” Joeb Rogers, student, 2015-17
Why Choose Us?
- Students are satisfied with this course! We scored 100 per cent for overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2018.
- This fast-track programme provides a rare opportunity to secure a BA (Hons) degree in only two years.
- Guaranteed summer placement in an in-house development studio (Year One)
- Teaching is delivered by industry practitioners with over 20 years of industry experience, creating products such as ‘Star Wars Battlefront’, F1, Sonic Dash, and ‘Goldeneye 007: Reloaded’.
- During the two-year course, you’ll work on a number of live projects with industry partners. Previous partners and mentors have included, Red Bee Media, FreeStyleGames, Sonic Interactive Entertainment Europe, Microsoft Rare, and Codemasters.
- On the course you’ll learn a range of new skills and programming disciplines relevant and appropriate for careers in the field of video game development such as gameplay, tools, VFX, AI and UI programming.
- The course can lead onto a leading Master Programme, Gamer Camp